(Reuters) — Two U.S. officials told Reuters that the American military is preparing for the possibility of sustained operations against Iran if President Donald Trump orders an attack. Such operations could escalate into a far more dangerous conflict than either country has experienced before.
The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of planning, said the developments increase the risks to ongoing U.S.-Iran diplomatic efforts.
U.S. envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner are scheduled to meet with Iranian representatives in Geneva on Tuesday, with Oman acting as mediator. Earlier Saturday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio warned that although Trump prefers a deal with Tehran, achieving one is “extremely difficult.”
U.S. officials confirmed Friday that the Pentagon will deploy an additional aircraft carrier to the Middle East, along with thousands of troops, fighter jets, missile destroyers, and other firepower capable of conducting and defending attacks.
In a speech at a North Carolina base Friday, Trump said: “It’s been difficult to reach an agreement” with Iran. He added: “Sometimes you have to feel fear. That’s the only thing that will really solve the problem.” Trump also suggested the possibility of regime change in Iran, stating: “That seems to be the best that can happen,” without naming potential leaders.
Trump has historically expressed skepticism about deploying ground troops, saying last year: “The last thing you want is to use ground forces.” Current U.S. deployments in the region indicate a focus on air and naval strikes, though special operations forces remain an option, as demonstrated by recent operations in Venezuela.
White House spokesperson Anna Kelly stated: “President Trump is keeping all options on the table regarding Iran. He listens to various viewpoints but makes the final decision based on what is best for our country and national security.” The Pentagon declined to comment.
Officials noted that current planning is more complex than before. U.S. forces could target Iranian governmental and security facilities, not just nuclear infrastructure, though details were not disclosed. Experts warn that the risks to U.S. troops would be significant, given Iran’s extensive missile arsenal, and that Iranian retaliatory strikes could trigger a broader regional conflict. The U.S. anticipates Iranian responses, potentially resulting in prolonged exchanges of attacks.
Trump has repeatedly threatened strikes on Iran over its nuclear and missile programs and domestic repression. The Revolutionary Guard has warned that any attacks on Iranian soil could lead to retaliatory strikes on U.S. bases. The U.S. maintains military bases across the Middle East, including in Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, and Turkey.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met with Trump in Washington Wednesday, stating that any deal with Iran “must include critical elements for Israel.” Iran has expressed willingness to discuss restrictions on its nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief, but has ruled out linking this to missile limitations

No comments